Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Day 5: The Monterey Bay Aquarium






Sea Dragons--how cool is that?
Hypnotic



If you hadn't already figured it out, I am a nerd. I go on, and get really excited about, nature hikes with strangers and take tons of photos of mushrooms (be glad you were spared most of them). I also go to zoos and aquariums no matter if I have my kids with me or not. There is nothing like seeing all of God's creation in the wild and in humane zoos. The MBA was one of the most incredible aquariums I've ever been to (Dallas' was better only because of the tunnel). I spent hours there looking at the incredible creatures. To be totally honest, I sat down in front of the deep sea tank and called my kids because they would've loved it. My favorite marine creatures? The bat rays and the jelly fish. The jelly fish hypnotized me and the bat rays ate out of my hands. What could've been better than that?

Mommy: do you know what I'm looking at right now?
Karis: no, mama, what?
Mommy: I'm looking at a hammerhead shark and schools of small fish.
Karis: I'm looking at a HUGE penny. You won't believe the size of this penny, Mama.

My kids were at the Denver Mint while I was at the Aquarium. Somehow it seemed very fitting.

2 comments:

Cass said...

MBA also one of my favorites! Really cool, mind-boggling examples of God's creativity. Good for you getting away...

HalfDozen said...

Beautiful pictures, I'm so glad I stumbled across your blog. I was raised in Monterey and it's been a long 15 years since I've left. Thanks for sharing and making me smile.