Monday, November 07, 2005

I love grammar, vowels and punctuation

First I have to tell you that I'm an old school internet user. Email and websites became mainstream when I graduated from high school. (And, for the record, Gore did not invent the internet.) Thus, I learned how to use a mouse in my first year in college. I actively emailed far away friends and searched the internet long before Google was a website, let alone a verb.

As an old schooler we didn't have nifty little acronyms for commonly used phrases (lol, ttfn, etc.). We didn't even have the phrases. In fact, we were very conscience of our emails and strove to use the complex English language properly. Just for a point of reference: txt is not a word, I and all other proper nouns are always capitalized and punctuation marks clear up lots of confusion. I won't even go into proper paragraphing and the total lack of use of the capitalization rules.

I'm curious to know why this apparent shorthand was started because it can't possibly save that much time. Honestly, just learning how to write vowel-less sentences requires higher level thinking and concentration. And let's not forget that we have to decipher what the uneducated cretin was trying to communicate. My guess is that the newest generation (what is is called?) wants to make its mark on society. If that's the case, I would've preferred they stick with strange music.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AMEN! You have a fun way of expressing yourself. I will forward your blog to all my friends!