Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Housecleaning for the babysitter

Tonight I needed a babysitter. Once I got her scheduled I remembered her mother saying to me, "I vaccuum twice a day because I just can't stand a messy house. Plus, I clean the bedding every other day because my husband loves the smell of clean sheets." (Their whole home smells like "Downy.")

Now, most people who frequent my home would agree that it's decently clean most days. However, I think that no mother in her right mind would vaccuum twice a day let alone change her bedding every other day. Who has time for that? Does she truly have no life? And who on earth needs clean sheets every other day?

And truly, I love my vacuum. We've bonded and are the best of friends. Cleaning my carpets is my favorite chore. And I do it twice a week. Yes, that was twice a week. Granted, most floors need it daily, but again, who has time?

We just remodeled our laundry room and I love to look at it. Sometimes I walk in it just to see the paint on the walls. But I'm not going to add all kinds of extra work for myself by changing all the bedding in the house every other day. We have 7 beds in our house! Every other week? Absolutely! Even every 8-10 days. But not every other day.

That was when I started to clean for my babysitter. Suddenly all of the dirt and filth in the house glared at me like glow-in-the dark smudge. I couldn't possibly let my 14-year-old babysitter see my house in such atrocious condition lest she tell her mother. Or worse, lest her mother drop by and see the filthy sty for herself. I had to clean. And the really sad part is that all I did was make the beds (not change the linens), clean the kitchen and then the main bathrooms. I didn't even vaccuum.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I know the feeling! P.S.-I also love vacuuming :-) http://charyl.blogspot.com