Monday, August 13, 2007

Best Dad and Worst Summer...

It's just that this really has been the worst summer I've ever experienced and hopefully ever will. Imagine yourself standing on a train platform and the engine is reved up to leave. Smoke is billowing everywhere and while you can see vague shapes in the midst and even understand some of what is happening around you, the whole scene is murky and out of focus.

This is where I've been living: in a daze and a funk. I blame part of it on being pregnant and nursing (which I really don't recommend) and the rest on utter exhaustion and bizarre circumstances. In fact, my newest pet peeve is single people (or anyone without kids) saying how tired they are. Honestly, they have no idea what actually constitutes "tired." Trust me, I've been there and now I'm here. It's way worse here.

In walks my Dad on stage left. He sees my normally wonderful house competely trashed and then looks at me sitting on a chair dazed. Then he offers to make a deal with me; he'll clean my house once a week (for 1 1/2 hours or so) until the baby and my mom-in-law come. I'm taking the deal. No ifs, ands, or buts. I didn't even say, "Oh, Dad, you don't need to do that" because I'm dying for help.

As an added bonus, my wonderful husband hears to proposal and feels a bit guilty. He says, "Here your dad is going to help clean the house while I sit on my butt." I didn't agree or dispute him. I just let him complete the thought. Then he offered to take a chore and be in charge of it. Is this my lucky day, or what? His biggest frustration is our kitchen floor so that will be his new job.

I am such a happy camper!

1 comment:

cj said...

Ok, now I feel rotten too, because I have not offered you help. I can imagine how hard it is for you being pregnant, nursing, and having three little children to look after as well. I'm glad that the men in your life are seeing your need and able to help you out with some of your responsibilities. I am praying for you to get rest. Hugs!!!