Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Okay, I just got home from watching HP and the OOTP at the IMAX theater. Firstly, I will say that there is just nothing like watching a movie on the IMAX theater. Truly, it's incredible. And, to make it more amazing there was a 3-D scene in the show that was unbelievable.

Now, I'm going to do my first ever (I think) movie review on this blog. And I'm going to skip all of the parts about how books are absolutely the best entertainment meduim ever and no movie anywhere will beat the book.

That said, and this is coming from a die hard Potter fan, the movie was okay. For me, it was the beginning that really ruined the whole thing. Mrs. Figg's character was poorly done...she had no dramatic flair that was truly needed and the entire beginning of the movie lacked the Ministry/Harry/Dumbledore interaction that made this particular book hook me in the first place. I mean, Harry gets booted out of Hogwarts, made to go to a judicial hearing and is threatened to have his wand broken and all he does is hit the bookcase once and then apologizes for it! Are you kidding me?

Yeats could have at least added some of the drama that the book so beautifully extended just to bring the audience into the story. THERE WAS NO HEART-RENDING DRAMA!!!!! He really blew it and if someone who knows nothing of the books sees it then I could imaine how lost and confused they'd be. Hmmmm, let's drop our audience in the middle of a story and then leave them there without any background information.

After the horrendous beginning, the rest of the movie was wonderful albeit still quite fragmented. The movie left out so many of the amazing details of magical imagination that Rowling created and that made the first movie fabulous...couldn't we have seen at least a little bit of Mrs. Black? What about the doxies? Or some of the Weasley twins fabulous creations during their hayday?

A few minor details were changed (Cho is the snitch but she was given Veritaserum) but nothing that really mattered.

This movie was fun and delightful but it just didn't have the flair; I hope the next one far exceeds this one.

AND THE LAST BOOK COMES OUT IN 10 DAYS...YIPPEEE!

3 comments:

Michelle D said...

Ok, I think I will finally try reading these books. Too many people rave about them for me not to - and people with all different tastes. Library run soon...

Feeling any better today?

Kakoii said...

Oh my gosh! I'm so glad to find another Potter fan among adults! I'm going to buy my book in a couple hours during the craze. I really despise crowds but I figure it's the last book and what they hey? I might as well join the fray! I won't blog any spoilers. I haven't seen the movie yet but hope to over this weekend or next...

The Mama of the House said...

Once you get the book and have it all read, call me. CJ has my number (ask for my cell number)...I'm dying to talk it over with someone! :)