Saturday, July 07, 2007

The Fun with Jon is Over

Sadly, Jon has left our humble abode and Bug is as depressed about it as he can be (thankfully, he has his mother's personality). Jon was counting down the hours until he got to leave. I'd like to think it was because he gets to spend the next 3 weeks detasseling corn with his bestfriends. However, I think maybe his workload was a bit much and the pay a bit little! While here he mastered the following tasks:

  • mopping the floors--at the Bakery and here at home,
  • vaccuuming the house,
  • washing the cars,
  • doing the dishes on a commercial dishwasher,
  • trimming the hedges,
  • sweeping the patio,
  • pulling weeds,
  • laying weed barrier,
  • climbing 14ers (really big mountains!)
  • fishing,
  • rough housing with my children,
  • loving on Kiki, and,
  • beating me at computer Risk.

I might've forgotten a few things in my list but more would just make me look more like the tyrant I am! Unfortunately, neither Steve nor I have any problem telling other people what to do. We'd love to have your children for a time of slave labor, I mean character-building fun. Honestly! We will miss him but I think his mother is happy to see him, if it is only for a few hours in the car.

I do want to say, however, that he well-represented his parent's hard years of raising him. He was polite, ate what was given him, hard-working, and easy to live with. He never complained when I asked him to do a chore and jumped up right away and did it. Then he would say, "Do you want me to do anything else?"

When my kiddos are older I do hope they are as well respected elsewhere as Jon is in our home. Maybe it's in part due to that Dutch stock!


2 comments:

cj said...

What a great opportunity you had to get to know your extended family better. We all hope that our children behave as well as Jon when they are teenagers. It is a great encouragement to me to see such a pleasant teenager while I am in the middle of training my children to behave appropriately.

Suzann said...

It's definately the Dutch! Their a good lot, if I do say so myself!